As well as this blog, I also have a website and Instagram page with lots more images of my work as well as a few more stories.
If you like woodcarvings, you might want to have a look.

Thursday 7 May 2015

Interviewed about woodcarving by Steve Yabsley on BBC Radio Bristol (and Radio Somerset) - with images of some of the things that we talked about


Today I packed a large rucksack full of tools and carvings and headed over to BBC Bristol on Whiteladies Road in Bristol.

bbc bristol

Steve Yabsley - or 'Yabbo' - was going to interview me on his lunchtime show. Steve had phoned up out of the blue last week and asked if I'd like to chat about woodcarving with him. Of course I was happy to!

So I arrived at the studio feeling nervous and excited. Simon the producer met me at reception. He was welcoming and friendly and  helped calm the nerves a lot. Steve was also relaxed and friendly, even though he was dealing with a few technical difficulties at the time.

radio interview by steve yabsley

It was really enjoyable talking with him about all kinds of things; how I got into carving and the links between carvings and stories amongst other things. You can hear the interview by clicking on this image:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pd1lx

Steve very kindly said afterwards that he thought I'd come across well, which was a relief to hear! If you are wondering what the carvings mentioned look like after hearing it, here they are. You can find out more about each by clicking on the caption:

Predator Bird Skull
Sgian Dubh and Kiltpin
 Wooden kiltpin
carved wooden self portrait
Carved Self Portrait
Insects inspired by the HI-MEMS project
Bristol Cathedral Misericords
Medieval-style woodcarving tools, made to my own designs
Repairing a sculpture by Friday Tembo


Image from http://donsmaps.com/images23/lionman2.jpg



2 comments:

  1. I'll listen in on iPlayer tomorrow... Glad it went well; it's quite daunting speaking on the radio. I like the kiltpin, by the way, especially with those eyes and nostrils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was a bit nerve-wracking! Steve the presenter was a good interviewer though and helped me feel much more at ease. Glad to hear that you like the kiltpin too, it definitely goes with the kilt more than the other one did, although I'm happy with both of them as pieces of carving.

    ReplyDelete