As well as this blog, I also have a website with lots more images of my work as well as a few more stories.
If you like woodcarvings, you'll want to have a look.

Friday, 1 March 2013

Stone carvings by my brother Duncan Park, in Portland Stone

Are you curious what other members of the Park family get up to in their spare time?

I thought it would be great to put a link on here to my brother Duncan's Flickr album, showing his stone carvings in Portland limestone. He's only just put it online and I'm sure you'll agree that there's some great stuff in there! The address is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanstonecarvings

His main passion is carving Portland stone, which works well as mine is woodcarving (although I really enjoy tapping away on a bit of Bath limestone sometimes as well). I sometimes wonder if it's because our artistic father would turn his hand to most things, but I never recall him doing much carving. Perhaps Dunc and I are just stepping out of the shadow!


Duncan is lucky enough to live in Portland, Dorset which is an island connected to the mainland by a gravelly bar, part of Chesil Beach. This kind of geological structure is called a tombolo (I just wanted to put that in here because it's such a great word, don't you think?).

Portland with Chesil Beach and the mainland behind

'Still Falling' by Antony Gormley, at Tout Quarry in Portland, Dorset
Portland is riddled with quarries because it's pale grey limestone is renowned for stonework. Duncan will hopefully be entering the Bristol Festival of Stone carving competition in June 2013, which I'll also be carving at. If you are about, why not come and say hello to both of us?

Here's a link to the festival's site: http://festivalofstone.com

No comments:

Post a Comment